Cornwall is a beautiful area of England that is often overlooked for its potential for housing. This article explores the pros and cons of buying new build developments in Cornwall and helps you decide if it’s the right choice for you.
What Is a New Build Development?
New build developments are constructions built on previously undeveloped pieces of land. First, the land is usually cleared, graded, and prepared for construction, generally occurring over a few months. Then, the building is constructed using modern building materials, such as concrete, steel, and wood.
In contrast, a re-development involves the rebuilding of an existing structure. The building is usually a large, complex structure that has been used for decades. The building is often partially demolished and rebuilt; instead, it is renovated and updated to meet modern standards.
So which is best?
The Pros of Buying a New Development Home
1. New construction homes are built with the most up-to-date materials and technologies, meaning there is less upkeep than in older homes.
2. Newer homes are often built with higher efficiency insulation, energy-efficient windows, and other features that can help to reduce energy costs.
3. New homes are typically outfitted with modern amenities such as stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and more.
The Cons of Buying a New Development Home
1. New construction homes often carry a higher price tag than older homes due to their newer features and materials.
2. New developments often come with a homeowners association and associated fees, which can burden homeowners financially.
3. Some say newer homes can lack the character and charm of older homes.
Pros of Getting a Renovation:
- Ability to customise the home to your exact specifications and preferences.
- The house will be modern and up-to-date with current technology and building standards.
- The home will be energy-efficient and cost-effective in the long run.
- The home will be new and likely won’t require much repairs or maintenance.
Cons of Getting a Renovation:
- The cost for home construction in Cornwall for renovations can be more expensive than buying a new home.
- The process can be lengthy and complex and require unexpected expenses.
- There can be unforeseen delays due to weather or other issues.
Pros of Buying an Older Home:
- It can be much cheaper than getting a renovation.
- Older homes can have more character and charm than newly built homes.
- The home may already be situated in a desirable neighbourhood.
Cons of Buying an Older Home:
- It may need renovations or repairs that can be expensive.
- The home may not be up-to-date with modern building standards and may require additional work to make it energy-efficient.
- The house may have outdated technology, making it difficult to update.
Finding a Contractor for Home Construction in Cornwall
New build developments in Cornwall are often a better choice in the long run. And if you need help getting a new home off the ground, we can help.
Wood Design and Carpentry is a family-run construction company based in St Austell, Cornwall. We employ skilled local trade professionals who have a history of working on stunning residential renovations and new builds. Our specialism is in building new, energy-efficient buildings and homes. With 20 years of experience, we help individuals to find the best contractor for home construction in Cornwall, and we take great pride in our work.